By using the Goldsmiths institutional repository, Goldsmiths Research Online you agree to abide by UK copyright law and the repository's policies, chiefly:
commercial sale or exploitation of material without prior permission of all the relevant copyright owners is expressly prohibited.
items deposited in the repository may be subject to individual copyright licences or permissions, whose terms must be adhered to in all instances. Where no specific terms apply, a single copy of an item may be reproduced for personal research or study, educational or non-profit purposes, provided full bibliographic details of the item are given and a link or URL is provided to the original metadata page. The content of items must not be changed in any way.
Users should consult our OpenDOAR policies below for further details.
If the administrators of Goldsmiths Research Online are notified of a potential breach of copyright, or receive a complaint indicating a violation of publishers' rules or other relevant concern, the item involved will be removed from the repository as quickly as possible pending further investigation.
Where the grounds for complaint are considered plausible, the material will be permanently withdrawn from the repository. (N.B. This may take some time if it is necessary for Goldsmiths to seek legal advice to resolve the complaint).
Contributors to the repository are individually responsible for the validity and authenticity of items and metadata which they contribute, and for endeavouring to ensure that contributions do not infringe third party copyright. Goldsmiths accepts no responsibility or liability for items and metadata contributed to the repository, and may remove items from public view in accordance with the repository's policies.
Clicking on the deposit button indicates your agreement to the following terms and conditions, if full content is deposited:
I declare that so far as I am aware I own the copyright in the materials I am depositing (the “Works”), or have the permission of the copyright owner(s) to deposit the Works and the associated metadata in the Repository.
I understand that I am granting Goldsmiths Research Online a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, sub-licensable licence to store and preserve the deposited Works and associated metadata by any means whatsoever, and to make the Works and associated metadata permanently and publicly available online.
I warrant that depositing the Works and associated metadata in the Repository, and thereby granting the rights entailed, will not conflict with the intellectual property rights of any third party to the best of my knowledge. I understand that it is my responsibility to check the terms of any previous or pending publication of the Works to ensure these do not conflict.
I understand that Goldsmiths Research Online does not assume any liability for any infringement of copyright in the Works or associated metadata by any user of the Repository.
I will immediately notify Goldsmiths Research Online if I learn of any claim that the whole or any part of the Works or associated metadata infringes the intellectual property rights of any third party, or is defamatory or obscene.
I have read and will abide by the general terms and conditions of use of the Repository, and in particular the ‘Take Down’ policy.
Copyright owners are urged to place a notice on the title page of their Works asserting their copyright, and specifying whether the authors have asserted their moral rights.
If you have any questions about any of these terms and conditions, or if any do not apply to the Works you wish to deposit, please get in touch with Goldsmith Research Online staff before depositing the Works in question.
(The following policies have been generated using the Directory of Open Access Repositories OpenDOAR standard policies tool).
Metadata Policy for information describing items in the repository
- Anyone may access the metadata free of charge.
- The metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for not-for-profit purposes provided:
- the OAI Identifier or a link to the original metadata record are given
- Goldsmiths Research Online is mentioned
- The metadata must not be re-used in any medium for commercial purposes without formal permission.
Data Policy for full-text and other full data items
- Anyone may access full items free of charge.
- Single copies of full items can be:
- reproduced in any format or medium
- for personal research or study, educational, or not-for-profit purposes without prior permission or charge.
- the authors, title and full bibliographic details are given
- a hyperlink and/or URL are given for the original metadata page
- the original copyright statement is given
- the content is not changed in any way
- Full items must not be harvested by robots except transiently for full-text indexing or citation analysis
- Full items must not be sold commercially in any format or medium without formal permission of the copyright holders.
- Some full items are individually tagged with different rights permissions and conditions.
- This repository is not the publisher; it is merely the online archive.
- Mention of Goldsmiths Research Online is appreciated but not mandatory.
Content Policy for types of document & data set held
- This is an institutional or departmental repository.
- Goldsmiths Research Online holds all types of materials.
- Deposited items may include:
- working drafts
- submitted versions (as sent to journals for peer-review)
- accepted versions (author's final peer-reviewed drafts)
- published versions (publisher-created files)
- Items are individually tagged with:
- their version type and date.
- their peer-review status.
- their publication status.
- Principal Languages: English
Submission Policy concerning depositors, quality & copyright
- Items may only be deposited by academic staff of the institution, or their delegated agents.
- Authors may only submit their own work for archiving.
- Eligible depositors must deposit bibliographic metadata for all their publications.
- The administrator only vets items for the eligibility of authors/depositors, and the exclusion of spam
- The validity and authenticity of the content of submissions is the sole responsibility of the depositor.
- Items can be deposited at any time, but will not be made publicly visible until any publishers' or funders' embargo period has expired.
- If Goldsmiths Research Online receives proof of copyright violation, the relevant item will be removed immediately.
- Items will be retained indefinitely.
- Goldsmiths Research Online will try to ensure continued readability and accessibility.
- It may not be possible to guarantee the readability of some unusual file formats.
- Goldsmiths Research Online is working with external partners to record preservation metadata
- Goldsmiths Research Online regularly backs up its files according to current best practice.
- The original bit stream is retained for all items, in addition to any upgraded formats.
- Items may not normally be removed from Goldsmiths Research Online.
- Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:
- Journal publishers' rules
- Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
- Legal requirements and proven violations
- National Security
- Falsified research
- Withdrawn items are not deleted per se, but are removed from public view.
- Withdrawn items' identifiers/URLs are retained indefinitely.
- URLs will continue to point to 'tombstone' citations, to avoid broken links and to retain item histories.
- The metadata of withdrawn items will not be searchable.
- Errata and corrigenda lists may be included with the original record if required.
- If necessary, an updated version may be deposited.
- The earlier version may be withdrawn from public view.
- The item's persistent URL will always link to the latest version.
- There will be links between earlier and later versions, with the most recent version clearly identified.
- In the event of Goldsmiths Research Online being closed down, the database will be transferred to another appropriate archive.